Placeholder canvas

Modification of Existing Orders

Modification of Existing Custody & Support Orders

If circumstances have significantly changed for you or the other party from the time of the original custody or support order, the order may be modified by filing a post-Judgment motion. A support modification action may be appropriate under the following circumstances:

  • You are earning less income.
  • You lost your job.
  • You are about to retire or have retired.
  • The other party’s income has increased.
  • Your timeshare with your child(ren) has increased.
  • Certain other circumstances.

Please be aware that a court order is required to modify child support. The court will not uphold a verbal agreement, exposing you to liability for back support as well as interest when your ex-spouse reneges on the verbal agreement.

A child custody modification action may be appropriate under certain circumstances, some of which may be:

  • A child’s preference to modify the custody arrangement.
  • A parent seeks to move away with the child(ren).
  • A child is doing poorly, having emotional or substance abuse issues, due to actions by the other parent.
  • A change in a parent’s availability to visit with the child(ren), due to work schedule change or moving closer to the other parent.

Contact the California Family Lawyers at Whiting, Ross, Abel & Campbell, LLP Today

Modification of existing orders in California can be complicated. For help modifying a child custody or child support order, contact the trusted family lawyers at Whiting, Ross, Abel & Campbell, LLP today. We are located in Walnut Creek and service the San Francisco Bay Area of California. We can also help resolve any issues related to divorce, spousal support, premarital and post-marital agreements, asset division, and more.

Skip to content