At Whiting, Ross, Abel & Campbell, LLP, we have assembled a list of books for adults and for children that many of our clients have found to be helpful when beginning and navigating through divorce and other family law processes.
Additional recommendations specific to your needs can be provided during your consultation with our attorneys, upon request.
Books for Adults
- Ahrons, Constance. The Good Divorce: Keeping Your Family Together When Your Marriage Comes Apart. Harper Perennial/Harper Collins, 1995.
- Ahrons, Constance. We’re Still Family: What Grown Children Have to Say About Their Parents’ Divorce. Harper Collins, 2004.
- Bienenfeld, Florence. Helping Your Child Succeed After Divorce. Hunter House, 1987.
- Blackstone-Ford, Jan. Ex-Etiquette for Parents. Chicago Review Press, 2004.
- Blau, Melinda. Families Apart: Ten Keys to Successful Co-Parenting. Putnam, 1993.
- Brinkman, Rick, and Kirschner, Rick. Dealing With People You Can’t Stand: How to Bring Out the Best in People at Their Worst. McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- Burns, Cherie. Stepmotherhood: How to Survive Without Feeling Frustrated, Left Out, or Wicked. Time Books/Random House, 1985.
- Coleman, William L. What Children Need to Know When Parents Get Divorced. Baker Pub. Group, 1998.
- Colgrove, Melba, et al. How to Survive the Loss of a Love. Prelude Press, 1991.
- Corcoran, Ross, and Corcoran, Judy, and Ross, Julia. Joint Custody With a Jerk: Raising a Child With an Uncooperative Ex. St. Martin’s Griffin, 1996.
- Ellison, Sharon Strand. Taking the War Out of Our Words. Bay Tree Publishing, 2002.
- Ellison, Sheila. The Courage To Be A Single Mother: Becoming Whole Again After Divorce. HarperCollins, 2000.
- Friedman, James T. The Divorce Handbook. Random House, 1999.
- Gardner, M.D., Richard A. The Parents Book About Divorce. Bantam Books, 1991.
- Garrity, Carla B., and Baris, Mitchell A. Caught in the Middle: Protecting the Children of High-Conflict Divorce. Lexington Books, 1994.
- Gold, L. Between Love & Hate: A Guide to Civilized Divorce. Plenum Press, 1992.
- Goleman, Daniel. Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than I.Q. Bantam Books, 1995.
Hannibal, Mary Ellen. Good Parenting Through Your Divorce
- Hetherington, E. Mavis and Kelly, John. For Better or For Worse: Divorce Reconsidered. Norton, 2002.
- Lansky, Vicki. Vicki Lansky’s Divorce Book for Parents: Helping Your Children Cope With Divorce and Its Aftermath. Pub Group West, 1996.
- Marguilies, Sam. Getting Divorced Without Ruining Your Life. Simon & Schuster, 1992.
- McKay, Matthew, and Paleg, Kim, and Fanning, Patrick, and Landis, Dana. When Anger Hurts Your Kids: A Parent’s Guide. New Harbinger Publications, 1996.
- Nelson, Jane, and Erwin, Cheryl, and Delzer, Carol. Positive Discipline for Single Parents: A Practical Guide to Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful. Prima, 1993.
- Oddenino, Michael L. Putting Kids First. Family Connections Publications, 1995.
- Pickus, Bob. Divorce and Family Law in California, A Guide for the General Public
- Ricci, Ph.D., Isolina. Mom’s House, Dad’s House—Making Two Homes for Your Child. Simon & Schuster, 1997.
- Stewart, James W. Divorce Handbook for California: How to Dissolve Your Marriage Without Disaster. Impact Publishing, 1999.
- Talia, M. Sue. A Client’s Guide to Limited Legal Services. Nexus Publishing Company, 1997.
- Talia, M. Sue. How to Avoid the Divorce from Hell and Dance Together at Your Daughter’s Wedding. Nexus Publishing Company, 1997.
- Tesler, Pauline H. Collaborative Law Achieving Effective Resolution in Divorce Without Litigation. National Book Network, 2001.
- Thomas, Shirley. Parents Are Forever. Springboard Publications, 1997.
- Trafford, Abigail. Crazy Time: Surviving Divorce and Building a New Life. Harper, 1992.
- Unell, Barbara C., and Wyckoff, Jerry. 20 Teachable Virtues: Practical Ways to Pass on Lessons of Virtue and Character to Your Children. Perigee, 1995.
- Warshak, Ph.D., Richard A. The Custody Revolution: The Father Factor and the Motherhood Mystique. Poseidon Press, 1992.
- Wegsheider-Cruse, Sharon. Life After Divorce. Health Communications, Inc., 1994.
- Woodhouse, Violet, and Felton-Collins, Victoria, and BlakBan, M.C. Divorce & Money: How to Make the Best Financial Decisions During Divorce. Nolo Press Self-Help Law, 1998.
- Wymard, Ellie. Men on Divorce: Conversations with Ex-Husbands. Hay House, 1994.
Books for Children
- Brown, Laurence, and Brown, Marc Tolon. Dinosaurs Divorce: A Guide for Changing Families. Marc Brown, 1986.
- Cadier, Florence, and Daly, Melissa, and Gandini, Claire. My Parents Are Getting Divorced: How to Keep it Together when Mom and Dad are Splitting Up. Sunscreen, 2004.
- Lansky, Vicki. It’s Not Your Fault, Koko Bear: A Read-Together Book for Parents & Young Children During Divorce. Book Peddlers, 1998.
- Masurel, Claire. Two Homes. Candlewick Press, 2003.
- Neuman, M. Gary. Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way. Random House Inc. 1999.
- Ransom, Jeanie Franz. I Don’t Want to Talk About It. Amer. Psychological Assn, 2000.
- Spelman, Cornelia. Mama and Daddy Bear’s Divorce. Albert Whitman & Co, 2001.
- Thomas, Shirley. Divorced But Still My Parents. Springboard Publications, 1998.
Legal Articles and Editorial Pieces
At Whiting, Ross, Abel & Campbell, LLP, our attorneys have mentored and taught other family lawyers through the American Inns of Court, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) Mentoring Group, Family Law Master Mentoring Group, and continuing legal education seminars. Our attorneys have authored legal articles and editorial pieces on a variety of divorce and family law issues for inclusion in various publications. Our attorneys are volunteers at local charities and the Bar Associations of Contra Costa County, Alameda County, and Solano County, and have handled pro bono cases.
Several of the articles and editorial pieces are available for review:
- Family Court 2010 by Andy Ross
- Family Law Court – New Players; New (Old) Rules by Andy Ross
- No Easy Exit – When Conservatorship and Marital Dissolution Procedures Collide by Andy Ross
- Changes in Family Law by Andy Ross
- Geriatric Divorce: A Harsh Road to an Estate Plan by Andy Ross
- Stock Options and Support: A New and Challenging Issue by Greg Abel
- You Have Options When Dividing Stock Options by Greg Abel